Just Installed But Now Shrugging

From: Michael B. Allen <mballen_at_erols.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2001 04:21:16 GMT

Hi,

I believe I have successfully installed Oracle on Linux. However I am now clueless about how to actually *use* this software :~) I have a standard issue Oracle 6.0 SQL Reference Manual, Teach Yourself PL/SQL in 21 Days, a bunch of Oracle 7 manuals at work, the various docs from docs.oracle.com/technet.oracle.com, and all weekend. I'm not just trying to get it running. I'd really like to know how this stuff works.

This is about where I stand right now:

[miallen_at_nano miallen]$ svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.5.0.0 - Production

(c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
With the Java option
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile='/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/dbs/initFOO_0.ora' ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                          4857232 bytes
Fixed Size                                          64912 bytes
Variable Size                                     4513792 bytes
Database Buffers                                   204800 bytes
Redo Buffers                                        73728 bytes
SVRMGR> create database test
     2> logfile group 1 ('/u02/FOO/redo0101.log',
                                          '/u03/FOO/redo0102.log') size 80M,
     3> group 2 ('/u03/FOO/redo0201.log', '/u02/FOO/redo0202.log') size 80M
     4> datafile '/u02/FOO/FOOsys01.dbf' size 80M autoextend off;
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> The create database statement was derived from another message on this list. It also instructed to run:

SVRMGR> @$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql SVRMGR> @$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catprog.sql

I did not see the catprog.sql so I ran catproc.sql instead. Looked like some important stuff; I hope I didn't break anything ;-P

So now, how do I manage users? I see I can log in with system/manager but how do I create a new account? Are accounts different from roles?

What are some good statements for seeing non-oracle defined tables? I know about 'select table_name from tabs'. Are there other handy statements like this?

I used 3 mount points; /u01 for the install files and /u02 and /u03 for the db files which both look like:

[root_at_nano /]# ls -lR u02
u02:
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 oracle dba 4096 Jun 22 22:55 FOO

u02/FOO:
total 246024
-rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 83888128 Jun 22 23:57 FOOsys01.dbf
-rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 83886592 Jun 22 23:10 redo0101.log
-rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 83886592 Jun 22 23:57 redo0202.log

Does this look ok? Should the group be dba? What to these files do why would I change the structure of these directories(e.g. 3 db files directories instead of 2)?

Is there a human readable log file that will tell me what's happening. I know about 'show errors' for PL/SQL but are there any other sorts of important tricks of the trade?

Thanks,
Mike Received on Fri Jun 22 2001 - 23:21:16 CDT