Re: Hosting a database server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:33:11 GMT

Since hosting ultimately involves a licensing question, contact your local Oracle office and ask them for some suggestions. The host will have to discuss the licensing issues with Oracle anyway, so Oracle already knows who potential hosting companies are. (If you can't find a local Oracle office, check http://www.oracle.com or more specifically http://www.oracle.com/corporate/contact/index.html?content.html to find sales offices).

As far as the access questions - it depends entirely on your application or intended use. Oracle Portal could make it possible to get access entirely through a browser with minimum development. Some applications require Oracle software (at the minimum Net8) to be loaded along with the application software. Other applications download all required Oracle connection software into the browser (usually as a Java applet) on demand, slowing down the application startup but speeding up the interaction. And other applications do it all through a pure browser interface which 'talks' to a middle tier that handles the appropriate connection to the database.

Hope this helps
/Hans