Re: certification

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:42:02 GMT

Easy friend - what Daniel said (paraphrased) is "if you have no practical or recognized experience and the job you are looking for requires certification".

In the following ears 'you' as 'generic applicant or general DBA' ...

Just like Novel or Microsoft Certification, the OCP simply states you have the fortitude to pass the test(s). Some (especially potential employers) take this to imply you have knowledge and will reward such an implication with (potentially undeserved) salaries and benefits.

On the other hand, taking the tests does happen to highlight areas of potential weakness or areas of excessive strength, the latter frequently being the basis of religous flame wars.

As an experienced DBA, I've found the tests can be quite tricky. Not necessarily the content, but rather the wording and the terminology traps which are frequently designed to ensure you have reviewed the appropriate (approved) material.

As far as expense - you have to balance the cost of the certification with the possible gain in salary and benefits. In some circles, this is known as Return on Investment or even 'Total Cost of Ownership' and that is something that must be evaluated individually.

/Hans