Oracle 9i on Linux experience

From: Dr. Infecto <innsmouth_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:48:47 GMT

I finally got all the disks from Oracle web site. I'm running Suse 7.1 with 2.4 kernel, ReiserFS file system on PIII with 320Mb of memory.
Unarchived the files, launched .\RunInstaller. Installation program looks just like version 8.1, only more sluggish ( Damn Java).
You are given several choices of sample databases : OLTP, DSS and multipurpose.
The install run smoothly before it attempted to create a sample database. At that point the program crashed with a core dump. Ok,so I decided to create database manually . I edited sample ora.ini file, adjusting some parameters ( DB name etc). Svrmgrl is not there anymore, now we have to use sqlplus. Started it with /nolog option, run connect SYS/change_on_install AS SYSDBA folowed by startup nomount.
Create database command in Oracle doc doesn't work with default ora.ini file - compatibility parameter must be set to 9.0.0.0. Ok, modified that. This time the database is created successfully Run 2 scripts to create proper dictionary views. The entire process took less than 2 hours. . Received on Wed Jun 20 2001 - 18:48:47 CDT