Re: Oracle abandoning named user customers

From: Penguin <penguin_at_pd.jaring.my>
Date: 20 Jun 2001 02:17:35 -0700

Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_qwest.net> wrote in message news:<3B2FC58D.9C30F383_at_qwest.net>...
> I doubt that it is a typo. In my opinion, the newer pricing model is
> much better than the previous pricing model. The whole idea of licensing
> based on CPU speed (in part) wasn't a good idea. Doubling your CPU speed
> did not equate to doubling your performance, so why should one pay twice
> as much? While Oracle still isn't cheap (it's not free) it's much better
> than it used to be. It's obvious that Oracle was listening at least a
> little bit when the world started crying foul!
>
> Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
> Brian

I do agree that the per processor pricing is much better than the former UPU based pricing, but what about the smaller customers who chose to license perhaps 20 Named Users instead of paying USD15,000.00. Looking at the way things are going, it looks like LE is after the higher end market and seems ready to abandon the lower end market.

Classic case of robbing the poor and paying the rich.

Cheers. Received on Wed Jun 20 2001 - 04:17:35 CDT