Re: Okay where do I start?

From: Paul Schmidt <paul_at_tricattechnologies.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:59:52 GMT

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:48:29 -0700, "Daniel A. Morgan" <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com> wrote:

>Paul Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:22:40 -0700, "Daniel A. Morgan"
>> <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com> wrote:
>>
>> ><answers interspersed below>

>> >Yes. But as you are not an "Oracle expert" I seriously question whether
>> >you will be able to deliver something without getting a mentor.
>>
>> I am responsible for the application, and tables, I am not about to
>> become an instant Oracle expert. I will though keep this in mind,
>> that Oracle needs a lot more care then some of it's competitors, the
>> relationship I have with the client is such that they can hire their
>> own Oracle expert.

>> >Phone Oracle or buy one of the books that has a copy included in the
>> >jacket. Or go to eBay and get one there.
>>
>> Can you recommend such a book? I phoned Oracle, the guy said the only
>> option was to download it, you would think a company as big as Oracle
>> could punch a demo CD, and then send some of those to offices in far
>> flung places like Canada, but they don't, even though almost all
>> ofther vendors do.
>>
>> Paul
>
>You talked to an idiot. On Oracle's web site you can download the database
>and other products for free. You can also purchase a pack of CDs for
>evauation for about $40.00. I don't have a specific book name here but I know
>I have seen them at the local bookstore while evaluating books for my
>students.

Are you callng the guy at Oracle an idiot, or yours truly? Yes I know you can download it, which takes about 3 days and abouit $75 in internet time, barring circumstances like the connection dropping as soon as you turn your back. The Oracle store is for US residents only, they don't have a Canadian one, although they are supposed to have it in place real soon now (someone else at Oracle said the Canadian store was supposed to be in place real soon now, in January of 1999, so I don't really know if this means anything). I guess I need to trudge on down to the wbb and see what's there....

Paul Received on Wed Jun 20 2001 - 14:59:52 CDT