Validation in a Stored Proc

From: William O'Neill <wfoneill_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:34:33 -0700

Am using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 with Oracle 8.1.7 on WINNT; have been instructed to create a stored procedure that will validate newly entered data(into a Powerbuilder Datawindow). If everything passes validation, then, the stored procedure would send this data to a mainframe system. My question - how does the stored procedure know the variables? eg. if i code Select * from tablexxxx where state = :is_state and city = :is_city, and the SQLCode returns 'not found,' then I must return the user back, and he/she cannot proceed until the error is corrected. How does the SP know what :is_state or :is_city is? This is how I would code the Select statement if I could put the code in one of the events of the dw, but I've been instructed to do everything in the SP. Any answers? Received on Tue Jun 19 2001 - 21:34:33 CDT