Re: Need beginner help !!

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:05:01 -0700

Steve & Candie wrote:

> I set up the Oracle 8i personal edition for my small business and the
> program installed correctly. But when I try to access the database it asks
> me for a username and password. I don't ever remeber setting one up, so any
> help would be great. Thanks
> Steve

You have made the most basic mistake known to Oracle developers and DBAs. You didn't read the installation instructions.

This means that even though it appears to have installed correctly you probably goofed up a bunch of things and will continue to make a mess.

Before I, and likely others here, will be willing to help you you need to demonstrate the ability to look on the CD ... find the HTM and PDF readme files, open them, and follow directions.

Also ... when posting error messages always include your operating system, the ORA-##### error identifier and the text of the error message or messages.

Lecture is over.

Had you read the instructions you would know that the default passwords are:

userid = sys
password = change_on_install

userid = system
password = manager

And if I were the small business owner I would be very afraid. I strongly suggest that you learn how to backup and restore the database before you load any data into it that anyone is going to care about.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Jun 17 2001 - 19:05:01 CDT