Re: Access To Oracle Program Conversion

From: Thekla Damaschke <Thekla.Damaschke_at_carmen.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 06:32:41 +0200

Me wrote:

> I have an visual basic 6 app that about 15 user's use to enter production
> into an access
> database. I would like to change this program to use an Oracle database
> instead. Anyone know the in's and out's of changing from Access to Oracle
> database's ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

What do you intend to get by changing to Oracle? Is the database becoming to big for Access to handle, or to slow? Or do you have concurrency issues?

If it is just data size, you can easily use Oracle (or any server-based database) as ODBC backend to Access, you need not to change to much in your program then. I dont see big drawbacks to that, beside the installation and administration procedure. At least there must be someone at your clients site, who knows what he is doing.

If you want performance, you should think of rewriting your program as a stanalone or embedded client, what languages beside VB can you write in? Have you any BLOB columns of special types in your db? /Thekla Received on Sun Jun 17 2001 - 23:32:41 CDT