Re: partitioning table

From: steve <E_at_E.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:54:26 +0800

HI,
thanks,

o.k
next question.

I have a huge address database (details), holding company name etc.

2 fields I want to partition on.

1.d_locked
2. Area.

Area ranges from 1 to n and holds the group that the data is in.

1.=customer
2.=dead customer
3.=future customer
4.=prospects

D_locked is a numeric field that is a binary break down for and item linked to details , invoices, special requirements etc.

If it is 0 then there are no items linked to the details record.

what i want to do is partition my table to speed up selects, fo applications using the details table.

so I want to partition by area and D_locked.

so lets say details

area =1 with a non zero value of d_locked goes into the 1st partition area =2 with a non zero value of d_locked goes into the 2nd partition etc
until the last partition
  where any area that has d_locked = 0 goes.

when records are added does oracle start at the first partition and if the reword fits does it go in there ?, the oracle notes are non-too clear.

steve