Re: Oracle server 8.1.7

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:34:12 +0100

That's a little severe, Daniel.

Bearing in mind that the Internet is an
international arena, it's possible that the original poster may have been using a
second language and used the word
'memory' when they were really thinking
'disk space'. In which case I recall that I once recovered around 500MB of disc
by deleting all the excess garbage that
Oracle dumped in the $ORACLE_HOME
when all I wanted was the server executable.

Possibly in migrating a small system from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7 the poster has not noticed that Oracle has introduced a default 20MB memory demand for the Java_Pool_Size.
It is perfectly reasonable to run a small system on 64MB of SGA - in which case
a 20MB increment would be a nuisance.

May I bring to your attention the wise
words of Thumper's father -

"If you can't say anything nice, don't
say anything at all."

Though I think in the arena of an
educational environment (such as
a technical usenet newsgroup) this
should perhaps be modified to:

"If you have to say something nasty,
try and say it nicely".

Your post contains one important hint,
however, but lacks suitable precision:

> Go into the instance's initSID.ora file and put in the
> smallest parameters you can.

If you have no use for Java, set java_pool_size = 65536

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html