Re: PL/SQL and lock

From: Marco Sarti <marco.sarti_at_plangroup.it>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:20:06 +0200

> Please explain why you can't use sequences.
> Sequences *work*, and your mechanism is likely to become a nightmare.

The reason is: the program needs to generate documents on tables, the numerators are used to assign a document number, the numeration depends on the document type (each document type needs to have own numeration) and the year of document registration.
Moreover, these numerators are totally parametric. This means that the client program (written in PowerBuilder) can create or change numerators, make or revoke associations with document types. The only facilitation is that I actually don't need to avoid "holes" in document numeration...

I would like to avoid sequences because sequences are static object in database, and they should be created / managed by the client software. Received on Wed Jun 13 2001 - 04:20:06 CDT