Re: MS Access usefulness and size restrictions

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:35:27 -0700

"Daniel A. Morgan" <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com> wrote in message <news:3B2664D4.99AD3EFC_at_attws.com>...

> Assuming what you say is correct, perhaps you can explain why it is the Fortune
> 500 companies such as Boeing and AT&T spend hundreds of millions of dollars
> migrating software from Access and SQL Server on Windows to Oracle and DB/2 on
> UNIX and never the other way around. And amazingly enough ... always due to user
> complaints which stop after the migration.

Are the tables re-normalized or redesigned during the migration, or are we talking some sort of copy-and-paste between Access and Oracle? Are the front-ends redeveloped using UI lessons learned from the Access version? Could the same benefits have been realized by developing a new version in Access or perhaps upgrading the file server? Dowdy file servers, and thus Access, can also benefit from more and faster RAM, multi-channel NICs, a new backplane, and a stack of striped 15KRPM SCSI-160 drives.

> Must be a bunch of really dumb end-users huh?

Perhaps they'd been ordered to stop complaining, or maybe they realized that any more complaints might attract pink-slips in the next round of layoffs to pay for the yearly Oracle licensing costs? Too bad Microsoft seems to be turning down the same road...

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster@ricochet.net>    Got Thetans? <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to