Re: What is a DBA?

From: knight <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:16:24 GMT

In article <3B2321E5.AEB507B1_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel A. Morgan says...

>Mike wrote:
>
>> Is there a paragraph or a page on the web that describes what a DBA
>> does. I suppose specifically to Oracle, but once you're a DBA in one
>> technology your competent in another, aren't you
>> --
>> =========================== "From" is my valid spam ============
>> Mike |\__/,| (`\ trap. Use "reply-to" when replying
>> _.|o o | ) ) via email (any newsreader will do
>> ========(((===(((========= this automatically) ================
>
>If there is such a paragraph or page it is wrong.
>
>To start with there is no such job as DBA. DBA is at least three distinct
>jobs and there are multiple subcategorizes within those.
>
>The three major areas are:
>
>1. DataBase Architect (someone who may never actually touch the product)
>2. Development DBA (someone who may never run a backup and restore but
>writes lots of PL/SQL)
>3. Production DBA (someone who may do lots of backups but may never write
>any serious PL/SQL)
>
>Daniel A. Morgan

www.whatis.com has a definition of DBA as requested:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci214169,00.html

and i know of a number of organisations where DBA IS considered a job ;)

hth Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 10:16:24 CDT