Re: MS Access usefulness and size restrictions

From: Ed Marzan <ducojansen_at_aol.comNo-Spam>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 19:53:17 GMT

I think you mean Oracle developers, not users!

You client/server database guys just don't get it. You need to use the right tool for the right job. I could drive a Mack truck (Oracle) to work everyday but what if the load only required an SUV (Access). The Mack truck is more expensive, difficult to tow, requires special fuel, doesn't have the acceleration, requires special training, is not allowed on parkways, cannot make tight turns, not easy to park and the list goes on... The SUV costs less, is easy to tow, takes regular gas, requires no special training, is allowed on all roads, can make tighter turns and can be parked anywhere. Does that mean that one is better than the other? Definitely not!

No one here is saying that Oracle is a bad product. It is a great product but only when used under the right conditions. Take the time out, learn Access and you'll be building powerful front ends in less time than it takes with whatever front end you are currently using to access your Oracle data.

In article <9fu7l6$emq_at_dispatch.concentric.net>, "wayne" <no_at_email.please.com> writes:

>That's funny... I though Oracle users had tunnel vision... Access people
>take the prize. They'll do anything to circumvent the real issues,
>specially shifting the topic!
>
>Anyway, things are waaay to subjective and sentimental about Access!

Best regards...

Ed Marzan
NYC Received on Mon Jun 11 2001 - 14:53:17 CDT