Re: What is a DBA?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:10:27 +0200

"Mike" <no_S_P_A_M_here_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3jR5PHAb2jI7Ewge_at_ntlworld.com...
> Is there a paragraph or a page on the web that describes what a DBA
> does. I suppose specifically to Oracle, but once you're a DBA in one
> technology your competent in another, aren't you
> --
> Mike |\__/,| (`\ trap. Use "reply-to" when replying
> _.|o o | ) ) via email (any newsreader will do

OMG.
DBA = DataBase Administrator
The work of a DBA is described in the Oracle Server Administrators Manual *NOT* on a single web page!
And, no, once you are a competent Oracle DBA (which would typically take several years), you are *NOT* automatically competent in another. You will be competent in another technology only when you manage to think conceptually. From this group it appears like many people switching from sqlserver to Oracle can't do that, as they expect everything to be the same.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Jun 09 2001 - 11:10:27 CDT