Re: Object type IN parameter for procedure

From: Bastiaan Schaap <-nospam-bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:33:52 +0200

Yes it is possible to pass type objects from and to PLSQL procedures/functions. This is used to pass record-like parameters. For instance I create an address type:

create type address_t as object( street varchar2(40), city varchar2(20), state varchar2(10), country varchar2(3) );

now I can simply use this type to define an IN parameter for my test procedure (and use it offcourse):

create or replace procedure test( xi_object IN address_t ) is
begin

    dbms_output.put_line( 'street: ' || xi_object.street );     dbms_output.put_line( 'city: ' || xi_object.city .......etc.

This will work without any problems within PLSQL. However, I never called these kind of procedures from ASP. It will probably work, but personally I don't know how you should build the object to be passed in your ASP in such a manner that PLSQL will recognize it. If I remember correctly pro*C allows you to use plsql types in the C code. If you can do this in your ASP, it should be no problem I guess....

Just my pennies worth, please correct me if I'm wrong,

HTH, Bastiaan Schaap

There are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't.