Renaming a column in 8i Personal version

From: Julius Siojo <siojo_at_ejward.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:17:06 -0500

How are you all doing? I was just wondering how you change a column name from an empty database. ColumnA is in TableB and is owned by OwnerC. I tried to issue a "rename column" sql command that I've used in Informix but I can't seem to make it work. If I issue the command:

            rename column OwnerC.TableB.ColumnA to NewColumn;

it gives me an error saying ORA-00903-invalid table name . I've used different combinations of owners/table/column commands but to no avail. If I use a select command on the same OwnerC.TableB.ColumnA combination, it works fine. Is renaming a column not allowed in Oracle? Thanks a lot in advance.

Julius Siojo
Oracle Newbie Received on Thu Jun 07 2001 - 10:17:06 CDT