Re: Reports in Word.

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:53:44 -0700

Michael Rothwell wrote:

> I am getting data out of Oracle using Pro*C on HP UX, but would like to
> write a file that Word could pick up easily (without converting). Is
> there some codes I can embed in the report that Word can read.
>
> I'm using C because I'm doing a lot of massaging to the data. I need to
> be able to email the resulting report to end-users that can just open it
> in Word with out any conversion (I've got some real winners for
> end-users) because they just cant figure it out.
>
> thanks for any info.
>
> Michael

I can not help you with doing reporting from Word because your entire e-mail, were it written for someone working with me, would result in them being shown to the door.

  1. Word is not a report writer.
  2. You don't use C to massage data.
  3. If data is incorrect you correct it in the database
  4. The "real winners" is not just your end-users. I'd take a good look in the mirror. I would guess that they would rather work with someone else because of your approach of turning a simple question into a major programming challenge.

Daniel A. Morgan

PS: I don't normally throw insults but what you said about your end-users was way out of line and I wanted you to experience how it felt. Received on Thu Jun 07 2001 - 00:53:44 CDT