ODBC "No Rows Affected" for floating point number in Oracle

From: Niklas Lindvald <niklas.lindvald_at_noventus.se>
Date: 5 Jun 2001 04:10:41 -0700

I have a problem with the ODBC driver for Oracle when I am trying to update a float column.

Database: Oracle 8.0.4.0
ODBC driver: Oracle 8.01.63.00

I am using the cursor library, and MFC recordsets with RFX_Single for the float columns.

The database test table looks like:
CREATE TABLE Test (

       lKey             NUMBER(10) NOT NULL,
       fFloat           FLOAT(23) NULL

);

Inserting into the table is no problem, but when I am trying to update a row I get the error 'No rows were affected by the update or delete operation.'
This only happens when I am trying to update a row with a float value that was previously saved with decimals (e.g. 0.13) in the database (I think). Rows with float values with no decimals are ok to update. Whether the update will go through or not depends on what was earlier saved in the floating point column - certain numbers cannot be updated.
Since I am the only one using the database, it is not a problem of someone else updating the table between my fetch and update.

When I turn off the cursor library, there are no problems with this. If I change the size of the float in the database table to 47 or higher it also works fine.

I have also tried the Intersolv 3.10 and Merant 3.60 ODBC drivers. The Merant 3.60 driver is just like the Oracle driver - do not work with floats unless the size is 47 or higher. The Intersolv 3.10 is the other way around - works well if the float column is of size 46 or less, otherwise not.

Any suggestions what to do to make it work with Oracle ODBC and cursor library?

Thanks
Niklas Lindvald Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 06:10:41 CDT