Re: Special USER

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:14:11 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Jonas M" <joao_tomas_at_hotmail.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:44:49 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>Can anyone explain me why I can't issue the command ARCHIVE LOG LIST while
>connected as system/manager ?
>
>I can only get it to work with internal/oracle , and surprisingly, it
>doesn't work with sys as sysdba neither... why not ?
>

>thanx in advance

are you sure it does not work with "sys as sysdba" -- it should. Can you cut and paste a sqlplus/svrmgrl session like the following with the complete error stack you get?

You need to be connected "internal" or better yet as SYSDBA/SYSOPER: sys_at_DEV816> connect sys/xxxxx
Connected.
sys_at_DEV816> archive log list;
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

sys_at_DEV816> connect sys/xxxxx as sysdba
Connected.
sys_at_DEV816> archive log list;

Database log mode              No Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Disabled
Archive destination            /export/home/ora816/dbs/arch
Oldest online log sequence     1860
Current log sequence           1862

This is documented in the SQLPlus guide on the usage for the SQLPlus/SVRMGRL command "archive log"

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/ http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/