Re: Determining a PK for a view

From: Richard Wheeldon <richard_at_rswheeldon.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:19:00 +0100

Daniel A. Morgan wrote:
> What just a minute. You can't index anything by rowid. Rowid is not
> indexable. So when you say "usually" I am thinking you've never done
> anything in Oracle before.

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. The index is not an Oracle index, but one built externally. The point being that a rowid is sufficient to uniquely identify a row in most tables/view so can be used in an inverted file.

> Why don't you state the end result you are trying to achieve and let
> those that know Oracle help you by suggesting a solution. I, for one,
> haven't a clue what you are attempting from the above.

Put simply, an inverted file for doing unstructured search on relational DBs (Oracle), similar to that provided by Altavista, et al.

It makes sense to use db,owner,table_name,rowid tuples to uniquely identify rows in real tables, but not for views such as I described. What I need is a technique for handling these.

My question was based on the knowledge that the subset I mentioned does this task,

Richard Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 04:19:00 CDT