Can't Migrate Instance Once 8.1.7.1 Patch Installed - Is This True?

From: Don MacGregor <dhmac_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2001 12:12:26 -0700

In Oracle's documention for applying the 8.1.7.1 patch to Oracle 8.1.7 database, it says the following:

"When migrating a database from an earlier release, for instance 8.0 to 8.1, you must complete the database migration to the 8.1.7 release prior to applying this patch set. You cannot perform the 8.1.7 migration after a patch set has been installed."

So, if I'm reading this right, this is saying that once you install the patch, you cannot migrate an existing database. Why is this not allowed? At my office, we are currently migrating an existing instance to 8.1.7, while another instance on the same server will remain 8.0.6 for another 6 months. Not being able to apply the 8.1.7.1 patch for that long will cause problems, but the migration date of the second instance cannot be moved up, causing a major dilemma.

Can anyone explain why this patch would prevent future migrations? Or is this really not an issue and can migrations be performed on 8.1.7.1 patched databases?

thx,
Don Received on Fri Jun 01 2001 - 14:12:26 CDT