Re: Raw devices transferrable from NT to Unix?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:13:49 -0700

Kipp Koenig wrote:

> Does anyone know if datafiles implemented as raw devices can be unplugged
> from an NT platform (or Win2K) and then re-attached to a Sparc? This sounds
> crazy to me, but is nonetheless of interest as we're trying to plan the
> least expensive path that starts with a MS implementation and, approximately
> 12 months from now, is transferred to Sparc.

Can't be done. But assuming this is all being done in Oracle it is a relatively minor issue to export your tablespaces, build the new instance and then run an import.

Or ...

Build your new instance, create a database link, and just move the stuff over across the link if it isn't too much data.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 00:13:49 CDT