Re: Storage Area Networks

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:16:32 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of using these in conjunction with an Oracle
> server. My organisation is starting to think about this sort of solution as
> an Enterprise Storage system. I must confess it intuitively sounds like a
> very bad idea for oracle storage, but I'd be interested to hear from folk on
> the NG on this matter.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

My reaction is the same as yours. I've no experience with it but it sounds like a very expensive way to gut the performance from a relational database engine. My instinct would be to "Just say no" unless someone is willing to guarantee in writing equal or better performance and back it up with a check to you if they are wrong (and a really really big check as you will be the one moving it all back again late at night and over the weekend.).

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 00:16:32 CDT