db cache with IIS application

From: Jean <ken_jean_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:38:37 +0200

Hi to all!
I'm developing a web application based on IIS 5. I have more asp pages that retrieve data from an Oracle 8i database.

I developed my ADO code using some recordset and building dinamic queries. For example a query may be
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblCustomers WHERE ID=" & id rs.Open strSQL, cn, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

My db administrator told me that this method cause a cache block because it must run a new query for every call and can't execute query from cache. So he told me that I must use another method for access data.

For example I must change my query so:

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblCustomers WHERE ID=?" set cmd=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command") set cmd.ActiveConnection = cn
cmd.CommandType = adCmdText
cmd.CommandText = strSQL
set rs = cmd.Execute

Now, I say that this method can improve performance beacuse db server can execute query calling it from cache.
But, is possible that first method can cause cache block? Normally, db cache queries for a faster call than to execute a new query that there isn't in cache.
But if I call a query no cached, cache may delete last used query and insert new query in cache. If this process work properly cache may be always with same size and db server may haven't problems. Can anyone tell me what is wright solution for my problem? Thanks in advance.
Bye Received on Wed May 30 2001 - 04:38:37 CDT