VERIFY_FUNCTION vs ALTER USER, ORA-28003

From: Michael Dodd <doddme_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:00:44 -0500

Apparently Oracle added a nice feature with 8i (?) allowing us to implement more strict password choices - by setting and using the VERIFY_FUNCTION we can now force users to make better choices.

But Oracle never just gives you something, apparently they took away the ability for the User to set their password using the ALTER USER command. They can use the PASSW(ord) command in SQL*Plus, or create a DLL to call the Oracle OCI function OCI_changepassword (sp?). Neither of these are acceptable solutions for us - we don't have users that have access to SQL*Plus and we don't want to support a C++ program.

What are other folks doing to get around this mixed blessing? Received on Wed May 30 2001 - 19:00:44 CDT