Re: Display last records in a table

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:22:19 +0100

"Michael Dodd" <doddme_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message news:e0a8htgisn8gi0gpgpu0arnii5p6vumjep_at_4ax.com...
> BTW: Before anyone jumps on my statement about the table dump- I know
> that dumping isn't a guarantee of order, that's what is funny about
> it, people do the dump THINKING this is the best way to view the last
> records. There is no good way to do this - live with it or without
> it. You can't fool mother nature or Larry Ellison.
PMFJI But there is a good way to do this. Get the design right in the first place. If it is a design requirement to be able to view the last n records added a sequence number or timestamp is the right way to do it.

An alternative (though a nasty one in terms of resources) is to use some sort of auditing scheme.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA