Re: instance name in SQL Plus prompt?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:09:21 +0100

The problem is that doing this does NOT guarantee that the sqlprompt is going to accurately reflect the instance you are logged onto. login.sql fires only when you login to sqlplus, not to a database.

so do the following

sqlplus userid/pass_at_testdb

TESTDB> do some work here
TESTDB> conn userid/pass_at_livedb
TESTDB> TRUNCATE TRANSACTION TABLE;
TESTDB> TABLE TRUNCATED.

PHONE - FINANCE DIRECTOR> Our SAP system has just stopped working is there anything wrong?

cue dba heart attack.

For my money having information that may well be inaccurate is worse than having no information.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA