The Oracle Bkp & Recov. Guide TS PITR procedure: does it work ?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_MailAndNews.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 04:37:30 -0400

Good morning,
I've been trying to put the TS PITR procedure described in the Oracle8i Backup & Recovery Guide on test, without success. My scenario, very simple, is as follows (Oracle8i on a Sun/Solaris server): - at day n, my table TEST TABLE exists in the db, and I perform a   cold backup at 10.00 PM,
- the next morning, day n+1, at 11.00 AM I add a few records in this   table (that already contains 400 records), - then I drop my table,
- and try to perform a TS PITR by carefully following the steps as   described in the guide (Release 2 (8.1.6)): creating a clone db works,   I've just copied the data files I need (i.e. here the SYSTEM files,   the rbs's and the only file that forms the tablespace in which my   table was created) in a new location to not erase the original ones   (I perform this test on the same server as the primary db), then I   start the recover UNTIL TIME 'YYYY-MM-DD:10:30:00', to see if I can   recover my table contents half an hour before I've added these few   records),
- in the end the recover always fails and displays the following:

> ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get
> error below
> ORA-01152: file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup
> ORA-01110: data file 1:
> '/export/home/oracle/bkp tests/ts pitr/WW3Dcln/system 01.dbf'
>
> ORA-01112: media recovery not started

then I try to open anyway and of course I get what I'm warned of:
> SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open resetlogs
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01152: file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup
> ORA-01110: data file 1:
> '/export/home/oracle/bkp tests/ts pitr/WW3Dcln/system 01.dbf'

Yet I've read (page 7-6 of the guide) that "this control file backup must be created at a later time than the backup that is being used", and although I've complied with this recommendation (I perform my BACKUP CONTROLFILE stuff the morning after my simulated logical crash just before starting the clone db creation procedure, and since I use the backup of the previous day made at 22.00...), I get this very ORA-01152 error...

I know well that I'm performing some point-in-time recovery, which normally requires to restore ALL files (but here as it's a special feature I thought that I wouldn't need to do that but to follow the steps they describe in the guide: obviously it's not enough).

So, am I missing something ??

Thanks a lot in advance...
Spendius

  "Spendius believed only in the Oracle."   Gustave Flaubert, Salammb