Re: Very simple PL/SQL question...

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:21:10 GMT

I think you miss the point of the earlier post. While dynamic sql will work unless you are doing it infrequently you are going to greatly limit the scalability and performance of your system. Dynamic sql causes a hard parse etc. every time you use it. On a system I worked on the programmers were basically doing what you are doing and on a benchmark test (using their code) it pegged the CPU for 26 minutes and basically no one else could use the system while this test was running. Once we went to a less dynamic approuch using host variables and avoiding reparsing then the same test took 6 minutes and only had peaks of 35% CPU utilization - average 5%. And other users of the system did not notice that the test was going on. Jim