MSc project sugestions needed.

From: alan <alan.mclean_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 22:24:07 +0100

Hi.

    I have finished the taught section of the OU's MSc in computing and now need a project/thesis to convert the Post Grad Diploma (PGDCCI(Open)) into a Masters.

    I had expected to do something data mining related through work, however I'm getting made redundant instead.

So I need a project that can be done without corporate resources and unfortunately I need it soon! proposals need to be submitted by the end on June.

The usual thing is find a problem and investigate/implement a solution. One of the OU staff gave me the guidance below and could probably help further, but I would like to do something that has practical value in the world. Especially as I am going to be needing work soon.

One of the reasons that I have posted here is that a look through the jobs at monster.co.uk shows Oracle skills to be in great demand.

My access to Oracle will probably be limited to the personal edition.

        Any suggestions gratefully received. Alan

            alan.mclean_at_bigfoot.com

OU's advice.

 Problem definition

Why is the problem a problem? Background description, scene setting, system description.

2 Identification of objectives and constraints What do you want the revised system to do - how do you want it to be better?
Tangible and measurable benefits be defined and their current value established if possible.
What is the environment in which the investigation is to be performed?

3 Literature search
Has work already been done in this area? How have other people tried to solve this and/or similar problems? The literature search must not be a bland description of what information is discovered. It must be a critical appraisal of this material and a discussion of how are you going to use this to address your problem.

4 Identification of possible solutions to the problem Using the literature search as a basis, plus other techniques like brainstorming, identify all possible solutions [however esoteric!].

5 Establish criteria by which you are going to judge the solutions You need to create and justify the framework which allows you to logically assess the solutions.

4 and 5 can be interchanged.

Step 5 is the first real potential end point for a project. If 3, 4 and 5 turn out to be quite complex then arriving at a justifiable set of criteria can, with suitable chapters on discussion, conclusion and ideas for further work, give a coherent dissertation which can achieve a pass status.

6 Judge solutions according to the criteria established This should result in on or more solutions presenting themselves as optimum ones.
These can then me modelled in more detail.

7 Implement preferred solution
This is the point at which many people, who do have definite ideas at what they want to do, begin their work on producing the initial proposal. It always draws the same comment - it is fine to have a project, for example, which has a piece of software design or programming in it, provided it has some sort of academic justification as indicated in steps 1-6. I am not saying that these are the only steps which can precede an implementation, just one possibility.

8 Evaluate implementation

[6, 7 and 8 can all be potential end points with suitable chapters on discussion, conclusion and ideas for further work]

The really useful feature of this approach is that is gives the chapter headings for the dissertation in quite an obvious way and therefore makes writing up that much easier. Anyway, I hope that you find the above comments helpful - any feedback gratefully accepted! Received on Sat May 26 2001 - 16:24:07 CDT