Re: Performance difference between varchar2 and number

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 05:15:23 GMT

Depends on how you want to use it. and what performance are you worried about. For a 9 digit number like the SSN then the NUMBER datatype uses less memory and so might use slightly fewer disc reads to search the table. But CPU time might be consumed in converting it to character type for display.

the bottom line is that for performance issues there is no substitute for testing with your own data and programs.