Re: 'DESC' as column name

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:13:25 GMT

Hi Mark,

DESC is a reserved word (see Oracle 8i Oracle8i SQL Reference).

If you use it as a column name, it's your own problem, but here's a workaround :

 Put the "DESC" column name into double quotes like this :

create table a ("DESC" number);

'select "DESC" from a ' will work, whereas

'select DESC from a' will *NOT* work.

Now you know the trick, but your co-workers may not know it and get stuck like you when they need that column. So change that column name ASAP and *never* use reserved words in column names again :-)

Regards,

Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
plovmand@<no-spam>hotmail.com