Oracle on MVS OS/390 with ESCON adapter

From: Howard <pepperh_at_isp.state.il.us>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:54:28 GMT

I am an AIX admin, trying to help resolve an Oracle problem, been working with the DBAs on this for a while.

We are running Oracle 7.3.3 on our mainframe. We connect to instances under ver 7.3.4 on AIX through ESCON using LU6.2 and token ring using TCP/IP. We are attempting to change our ESCON connection to TCP/IP to support MVS 8.1 that we were told doesn't support LU6.2. We are unable to connect through the ESCON after we changed to TCP.

We have modified the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora on our RS/6000 and the DBA has modified the corresponding datasets on the mainframe. When we start the listeners on the mainframe, we get the listening on (IP)(port) , we had a problem with that for a while getting listening errors. Now we can connect through TSO to the mainframe instance, and select rows from the AIX instance, however we are unable to connect in the other direction. We get TNS errors, no listener.

We would appreciate advise from anyone with similar experience.

Thanks in advance. Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 19:54:28 CDT