Single user, multiple log ins

From: Christopher Latta <nobody_at_nowhere.not>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:45:16 +1000

I have an application, and for ease of client use I have set up one Oracle user password that everybody uses to log in to the database (this happens automatically via initialization scripts) and their actual log in is verified against my own tables of user names and passwords.

I have been reading some DBA books recently and they were discussing the private area of the SGA that gets allocated to each user. I took this to mean "each user session", but had a horrible thought this morning that they may have actually meant each user log in name, which would mean I'm cramming all my users into one little section of memory. Surely not.

Is there any performance implications of such an approach?

TIA
Christopher Latta Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 23:45:16 CDT