Training for DBA

From: Tom Elliott <telliott242_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:43:00 GMT

Hello, I looking for an entry level database administration position. However with the exception of tinkering with SQL at home on my own, I really don't have any experience. That is why I am looking at attending the following
course at triOS College. http://www.trios.ca/career/des_ecsd.asp It is a 52 week program which focuses primarily on
Microsoft software. It also includes the vouchers necessary to obtain both MCSD and MCDBA certificates. Now I know
full well a MCSE is useless, but what is the general industry attitude towards an MCDBA? While what I'm really
wishing for is more on the Oracle front, I feel this would be a good place to start regardless.

The reason I am posting this is because I am applying for government funding to take the course. And a requirement
for that funding is that I come up with 3 sources of information that there is a demand for this job, and that the
program I wish to take will get me a job in this field. So if there are any DBA's out there with a little too much
free time at work (can't imagine that), could a couple of you please answer a few of these questions?

What skills are required for someone starting in this occupation?

What licensing or certification standards are required to work in this field?

What are the starting trainee wages & the wages for a fully qualified person?

What is the future employment outlook for this occupation?

What advice would you give me about selecting a program of study?

Thanks alot. Also, I'm requried to talk to at least one perspective employer. If there is anyone in the vacinity of Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario, who wouldn't mind wasting a few minutes talking to me please let me know. Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 12:43:00 CDT