/*+ORDERED */ - Works Outside of CURSOR but not in ?!

From: Brian Y. <NOSP_at_M>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:38:51 GMT

This is an Oracle 8i database. I have attached the /*+ORDERED */ hint to several large queries in hopes of having them run faster - which they did. At least that was the case when I was running the queries in a SQL window outside of my package.

Here's the kicker: I put the queries back into their respective cursors inside my package, and they all hang when I call the program. I haven't waited more than several minutes to see if they will return; anything more than a minute is unacceptable to our users.

Why would the /*+ORDERED */ hint work in a free-standing SQL statement, but not in a cursor? I literally cut and paste the query text back into the program, so there are no differences between the two.

Thanks for anything at all...

B~ Received on Tue May 22 2001 - 19:38:51 CDT