Best datatype to store emails and attachements?

From: Ricki <henhouse_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 14:57:28 +0200

Hello,

i'm planning to get mail bodys and attachements into Oracle 8i. The amount of emails will be greater 500 Mio.! Each of the 1 Mio. users is allowed to store 750 emails with a total of 5 MB.

I think the best way to get this large database up and running is to use partitioning for tables and indexes. I'm wondering a bit about the datatype to use for mail bodys. Should i use long or lobs to store the data? I know about the advantages of lobs, but what about the performance of storing and accessing 500 Mio. mail bodys as lobs? Most of them are smaller than 4000 Bytes, therefore stored inline.

Would be great to get some feedback from experienced dbas and experts.

Best regards
Ricki Received on Sun May 20 2001 - 07:57:28 CDT