Re: Client Connectivity Problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 12:57:37 +0200

You are referring to a SID or SERVICE_NAME in your listener.ora and/or tnsnames.or which doesn't exists on the server. Tnsping *ONLY* verifies a listener is running, it does *NOT* verify whether the database exists and/or is running.
Sessions on the server normally connect directly.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Khurram Izhar" <KhurramI_at_Ducont.Com> wrote in message news:9e7uut$6sm2_at_news.emirates.net.ae...
> As I said,
>
> > From the server itself, I am able to connect to the database through the
> > "Net8Config" as well as "SQL*PLus" utilities.
>
> This means that the database as well as the Listener is up. This problem
 is
> only happening from the remote clients.
> >

> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Khurram Izhar wrote:
> >
> > > "Attempting to connect using userid: system
> > >
> > > The test did not succeed.
> > >
> > > ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
> > >
> > > There may be an error in the fields entered,
> > >
> > > or the server may not be ready for a connection. "
> > >
> > > This is the error message I am getting from the remote 2000
 professional
> > > machine which has installed the client for 8i. The 'tnsping
 10.0.0.104'
> > > gives me this result from the same client machine (where 10.0.0.104 is
 the
> > > IP Address of the 8i Server)
> > >
> > > "C:\>tnsping 10.0.0.104
> > >
> > > TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on
> > > 20-MAY-01 10:13:12
> > >
> > > (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> > >
> > > Attempting to contact

 (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.0.0.104)(PORT=1521))