Re: Delete BLOB data!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:10:12 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Paul Wang" <wpaoching_at_kittymail.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 18 May 2001 21:27:05 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a table that contain BLOBs columns, when I delete some rows, it did
>not release the space it alocated, I found the command "truncate table" can,
>but it will delete all the rows from the table!, how can I do?
>thanks!
>Paul

space, once used by a table, remains part of that table until you release the extents back to the system.

The delete did in fact release space -- that space is only reusable by the segment that released it though. The space is part of that tables data structure. It will remain part of that table until you do something that totally frees the extent it was in (truncate, drop).

So, the space is released, it will be reused by subsequent operations on that table.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/