Re: Crypto + Oracle 8i??

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:48:54 GMT

2 things. The advanced networking encrypts the net8 packets between the isw and the Database.(it is not an internal database issue, think of it as akin to ssl)
But to avoid the cost of adding the advanced networking option you can isloate the network between iws and the database server (I am assuming they are different servers). Using a firewall you can make sure that port 1521 is only open between the web server and the database and that no one can get to the database server via any port unless they are the web server.

client <------> (443 and 80 ports in only) firewall <----> web server web server <---- firewall ---> database server (port 1521 only)

Then you don't have to encrypt the packets between the web server and the database (you can if you want to).
Jim

 (Servlet) --------------NET8--------------Database
> (dbms_obfuscation_toolkit).
>
> This link I am worried about is from the thin client on the web
> server to the database. Where is the advanced networking
> info stored?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Ryan
>

> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > There is an option to encrypt the traffic.(advanced networking) It
 might
 be