Re: Oracle, ODBC, Installation

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 06:04:05 GMT

You need to install the oracle client / net8. Depending on the version of Oracle you are using, use the Oracle installer / universal installer. This gives you a connection to the listener, give it a name like "MYCON".
Then install the ODBC driver. (Personally I prefer the MS driver that conmes with MDAC 2.1 with Visual Studio 6 SP3. It is faster than the Oracle version and handles the decimal point (,) for FLOAT (NUMBER x,y) better than the Oracle version). The "server" entry in the ODBC configuration window is then MYCON.
You may want to check / set your NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_DATE_FORMAT etc.....
And read the manuals. Oracle is not MS SQL Server !

HTH. Ted

On Wed, 16 May 2001 10:03:19 +0200, "Silvio Heinritz" <heinritz_at_tcc-chemnitz.de> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I developed Applications that use ODBC to
>get data from databases and I uses MS SQL Server, Access or so
>to store my data.
>
>This Applications now have to work on an Oracle DB.
>I don't know which Version of Oracle Server is used.
>(I think the System, exists 1 year...)
>
>What do I need to connect to this Server????
>(I have a client with installed Win2000 and nothing else)
>
>Please help me
> Silvio

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Fri May 18 2001 - 01:04:05 CDT