Re: SQL*Net

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:28:00 -0400

A copy of this was sent to TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 17 May 2001 11:59:13 -0500, you wrote:

>Altho' I haven't looked into it, isn't there a 'Trusted Oracle' version that is
>high security?
>
>"Max7" <joan_toh_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This posting seems interesting. Since SQL net transmit clear text to the OS
>>for authenication, is there any way to harden this?

passwords during logon are sent encrypted. They are not transmitted in the clear. repeat: passwords are sent encrypted. everything else is sent in the clear.

There is an option, Advanced Networking, that does full data stream encryption -- so the queries and the data are encrypted as well.

Trusted Oracle, last version was 7.2, has been replaced by Oracle Label Security (implemented with fine grained access control) in later releases. It didn't encrypt data- just protected it from prying eyes at the DML level.

>>"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "TurkBear" <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message
 SqlNet

 try

>>> Yeah, it does. But the Enterprise Edition comes with the Advanced
 Networking

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/