Re: Newbie asks: tools & books for data entry/admin database

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:27:19 -0700

Jane Skinner wrote:

> I have recently joined a research team on a medical study looking at
> links between diet and cancer. We will be buying Oracle 9i when it
> becomes available. I have been asked to write a smallish program in
> 9i when we get it, to help deal with communication with the 30,0000
> participants in the study and general record-keeping -- generating
> mail-shots, keeping tabs of who has had which investigation and so
> on.
>
> I am new to Oracle. I was wondering if people could recommend which
> Oracle tools would be suitable for this project (Forms? Something
> based on Java?) and books which describe these tools... Also, is
> there a good book giving an overview of Oracle? I am a bit confused
> by the multiplicity of elements. How relevant would books on 8i be
> to 9i?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jane
> --
> Remove NOTTHISBIT to e-mail me.

I doubt anyone would envy you this assignment. The task you have been assigned is monstrous to say the least.

The basic tool is the database. After that we need to start asking questions with respect to the requirements. How many users, local or global, is internet access a requirement? What are the security and confidentiality requirements? To answer your questions will require examining carefully crafted specs.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu May 17 2001 - 20:27:19 CDT