Newbie asks: tools & books for data entry/admin database

From: Jane Skinner <jane.skinner_at_NOTTHISBITsrl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:44:32 +0100

I have recently joined a research team on a medical study looking at links between diet and cancer. We will be buying Oracle 9i when it becomes available. I have been asked to write a smallish program in 9i when we get it, to help deal with communication with the 30,0000 participants in the study and general record-keeping -- generating mail-shots, keeping tabs of who has had which investigation and so on.

I am new to Oracle. I was wondering if people could recommend which Oracle tools would be suitable for this project (Forms? Something based on Java?) and books which describe these tools... Also, is there a good book giving an overview of Oracle? I am a bit confused by the multiplicity of elements. How relevant would books on 8i be to 9i?

Thanks,

Jane

--
Remove NOTTHISBIT to e-mail me.