Re: Case Insensivetiness...

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:09:39 +0800

Kenneth Jensen wrote:

> Thank you very much. That does the trick.
>
> I am used to SQL Server, and there you just make your entire DB case
> insensitive. The UPPER function works with both SQL Server and Oracle,
> though, so I'll use that function in the future.
>
> Yours Sincerely
> Kenneth Jensen
>
> "Patrick Sinke" <patrick.sinke_at_capgemini.nl> wrote in message
> > Make your entire database case-insensitive? Why would that be necessary?
> > I recommend to place an UPPER round your column-name (mind the possible
> > performance drop) or placing the value in the table in only lower- or
> > uppercase.
> >
> > But without further details I cannot say more that would make sense.
 sorry.

> > Regards,
> >
> > Patrick Sinke.
> >
> > Kenneth Jensen <kj_at_computerhelp.dk> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 9dqv77$8i5$1_at_news.inet.tele.dk...
> > > Is it possible to make my Oracle DB case insensitive? I want to use the
 LIKE
> > > syntax without having to worry about upper case or lower case.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kenneth Jensen

Be aware the upper(col) = ... would not use an index defined on col (although from 8i, a function based index would assist). To enable them, see the link on my site.

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"