Re: SQL*Net

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:21:52 +0200

"TurkBear" <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:5km2gt8s1f5j9kl9i719dl3q3s2a5cdgqf_at_4ax.com...
> The database does the authentication ( or you can set it up to do OS
> authentication ) at its end, not at the client...I believe, however, the
 SqlNet
> transmits its login info ( username, password, servicename ) over the
 network in
> clear text, so 'sniffers' may be able to see it..
>
> "Wanghin" <whtoh_at_deloitte.com.sg> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I was wondering how will installation of SQL*Net on the client affect the
> >security of the access to the oracle database?
> >
> >Heard from someone that sql*net does not authenicate users when they try
> >connect from client side.
> >
> >thanks in advance.

Yeah, it does. But the Enterprise Edition comes with the Advanced Networking Option, which will allow you to encrypt *everything* (including your data), using various well-known protocols.
So there shouldn't be any concern about sqlnet, provided you want to spend the $$.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue May 15 2001 - 13:21:52 CDT