Re: Transition Oracle 8i from one UNIX OS to Another

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:48:20 GMT

Assuming you mean the database portion when you say "Oracle 8 application" ...

In general, that is the beauty of Oracle - minimal, if any, changes required. Oracle goes out of their way to handle exactly this situation. Under 'normal' circumstances the only thing that will cause any problem is an operating specific porting bug (in the Oracle code).

I've actually taken export from NT and imported into Solaris, rehomed the app to run against the Solaris machine, and had no issues at all.

That said, always suggest standard regression test procedures when making a significant change.

/Hans