Re: Oracle8i 8.1.7 does not start when rebooting Windows 2000 Server

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:11:49 -0700

Adrian Beech wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am an absolute novice when it comes to Oracle. So it would be a fair
> comment to say that I do not know what the heck I'm doing a this stage.
>
> I've installed Oracle8i EE release 3 (8.1.7) on a Windows 2000 Server
> system. The database was up and running after the installation.
> However it will not start when the system is rebooted.
>
> I know Oracle was up and running immediately after the installation as I
> was able to use both SQL Plus and TOAD. I also used ODBC to link an
> Oracle table, which I created using TOAD, in an MS Access database.
>
> I did a typical installation and used all the default settings during
> the installation process.
>
> After rebooting the machine I get the following when trying to log into
> SQL Plus:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>
> Details:
> *** First assume we have a valid install and registry
> Building Oracle HOMES List
> HOME Name OraHome81 added to list.
> Found multiple homes, searching each HOMEx for valid PATH
> searching in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> Oracle_Home found in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 IS in system path!
> ***
> Oracle home is set to E:\oracle\ora81
> Bin path is set to E:\oracle\ora81\bin\
> oci.dll found
> Using: E:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\oci.dll
>
> I did no post configuration after the installation. Have I missed
> something?
>
> To make things a little more interesting I am a totally blind user! The
> documentation as provided in the download is not that accessible. So
> as you can see I'm having a lot of fun!
>
> I'm in desperate need of some help. So if some kind soul can tell me
> what is going on I would be forever grateful.
>
> Adrian Beech
> a.beech_at_bigpond.net.au

Go into the Control Panel / Services and see if the service has started. If not try starting it manually and connecting to the database. Make sure the setting is set to automatic. If it still doesn't start and I expect that will be the case then.

  1. Open a DOS window (yes Windows is still just a gui over DOS).
  2. Go to C:\oracle\ora81\bin or wherever the bin directory is
  3. Type "svrmgrl" and hit the enter key.
  4. Type "connect internal".
  5. Type "startup".

Then send us the complete error message.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon May 14 2001 - 01:11:49 CDT